Millions of Americans have at least one pet — there are currently about 70 million dogs and 86 million cats kept as pets throughout the country. Owning a pet is certainly a highly rewarding experience, as pets provide years of companionship.
But owning a pet is also a major responsibility, especially when it comes to making sure you provide adequate health care for animals. To make sure you do your part in your pet’s health, follow these tips!
Here are five of the best tips on health care for animals to help you keep your pet feeling healthy and happy:
1. Regular veterinary checkups: Whether you plan to visit a veterinarian for cats or a veterinarian for dogs, a veterinarian for large animals or a veterinarian for small animals, it’s essential that you take your pet to a veterinarian twice a year for check-ups. These appointments are important to make sure your pet receives the health care for animals he or she needs.
2. A good diet: Much like your own diet plays a big role in your health, so does your pet’s. When purchasing food for your cat or dog, make sure to avoid heavily-processed foods that contain artificial ingredients or preservatives. Your local provider of health care for animals can point you toward the right food to purchase.
3. Dental health: One important aspect of health care for animals that many pet owners forget is dental health. By asking your veterinarian to perform an annual oral exam each year, you can make sure your pet’s teeth are working like they should.
4. Daily exercise: Did you know that about 60 percent of pets are overweight? Making sure you take your dog for daily walks and play with your cat is one of the most essential components of health care for animals. By keeping your pet at a healthy weight, you will ensure a longer life expectancy for your canine or feline friend.
5. Parasite prevention: Parasites like fleas, ticks, heartworm and more can be damaging to your pet’s health, even resulting in life-threatening illnesses. If you think your pet has a parasite problem, your provider of health care for animals should be able to help determine a solution to make him or her parasite-free in no time. Check out this website for more.